Back to Basics

Now back to normal programming … ( still waiting for Entrecard to draw winners, sorry about that guys )

It was so nice to be in our farm again. So much have changed and little by little it is becoming what we want it to be.

After our last visit in July we realized we are losing so much time going back and forth from the resort we stay and to our farm. So we have asked our people to make us 2 Bahay Kubo or local houses, one for us and one for guests. The guest cottage came in handy because my BIL came to stay with us for a few days with his then girlfriend.

We also have a road now going to our property which we had to finance ourself because it would probably take ages if we wait for the municipal government to build a road there.

Road development

road 2005 – still very bushy, found a turtle wandering around

road 2006 – car cannot proceed because of a big hole on the ground with water and mud

road 2008 -car can now go all the way to the property

These local houses can accommodate us while we haven’t built our proper house yet.

I call these our “Temporary House” but later on it might be converted into guest cottages. November 19, 2008 , the very first time we slept at our new houses in our farm like babies. It was an exciting moment for us. No aircon was needed because of the cool mountain breeze. The water is even warm during the day so no water heater was needed to bath too.

We brought with us an inflatable bed so we don’t hurt our backs sleeping on the mats and of course a kulambo or a mosquito net to avoid bites from J’s friends – the mossies. For some reason they like him better than me- I don’t really know why.

Living in the farm means going back to basics. We don’t have any electricity there so we had to make use of lamparas like this one below and flashlights.

Also we did all the cooking by charcoal. Do you see the plant with big leaves next to J? That’s called gabi or Taro. We ate that for lunch – well of course they cooked it first. It’s actually one of my favorite dish – laing. It was cooked and stewed with coconut milk and some shrimps. Hmmmm, yummy!

The trees have grown alot but we are having some problems with the creatures you will see next…

caterpillar

Uwang/Beetles

Both eat the leaves of our mahogany trees. Both are beautiful insects if you look at them but they are big problems for us.

To be continued…..

Bookmark and Share

1. kikamz

December 16, 2008 at 2:23 am

ang sarap namang tumira sa farm nyo jade! miss ko na ang matulog sa bahay kubo. masarap pag kawayan ang sahig… mas presko!

btw, i have a tag for you: Shot on The Spot. hope you can grab it!

happy tuesday!

2. Petula

December 13, 2008 at 2:17 am

Wow that is amazing. Thanks for sharing… I obviously have been missing a lot.

3. earthlingorgeous

December 13, 2008 at 2:06 am

Wow look at that beetle!

4. Joanne

December 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Wow-great pictures! It looks very peaceful there. Is that bug real???? OMG!!!

(PS: I’m from Mom Bloggers Club:CC2)

5. Lotus Flower

December 12, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Those creatures give me allergies. Are those beetles?

Farming is really toiling with the soil and as a result you sweat, get ‘bloodied’ and maybe shed tears sometimes.

The best to you Jade!

6. Tammy

December 11, 2008 at 6:14 pm

WOW!!! That is a HUGE beetle.

7. eric/BlogDeManila

December 11, 2008 at 7:36 am

wow…something to visit in Narra, Palawan aside from my friend’s house 😉

8. Connie

December 11, 2008 at 6:20 am

I am totally freaked out by the last photo. I can’t even think about it or type the name of it. Is it really that big? Oh my!

9. crissy

December 11, 2008 at 5:41 am

Hi Jade! Welcome back! Such a serene place to dwell with. A quiet and not polluted space for your family and your future babies with nature around. Take care always!?

10. Reezen TOT

December 11, 2008 at 4:26 am

Hi Pinay jade! thanks for dropping by my page..

I would like to take the opportunity to say Happy Holidays and a merry New year (hmm awkward got the words mixed up)!

Just to let you know, I do appreciate the comment you left on my page.. I am just happy that some one is able to leave a nice comment but still relevant to the topic that i posted..

hoping to hear from you soon! And I am also wishing you all the best for your farm.. =)

xoxo
    Reezen TOT

11. MommaWannabe

December 11, 2008 at 4:12 am

I also don’t know – maybe because the major prizes are entrecard credits. I am actually annoyed by that fact, so maybe next time I hold a contest I will exclude it from the prize list. They have not drawn the winners till now and I am not getting very clear answers. If Saturday comes and they still haven’t drawn the winners I will do it myself.

12. {girl}forallstatus

December 11, 2008 at 4:07 am

i didn’t know entrecard now has control over blogs’ contest. why?

anyway, it’s nice to go back to the basics from time to time but i’m not sure if i can really go back to it permanently. i’m still a city girl =)

13. Lilly's Life

December 11, 2008 at 3:35 am

That was a great post and how exciting for you. I love the look of the cottages – I would come over your way tomorrow if I could – it looks great Jade. Cannot wait for your next post….

14. Sherry

December 11, 2008 at 2:56 am

will be waiting, oh you have got tag from me. check out http://sherryshopping.blogspot.com