My IVF Journey in Singapore – The Beginning

UPDATE: 5/9/11 My IVF journey was successful and I am now a proud momma of Sean Charles. He’s now 5 months old.

I couldn’t wait for the pregnancy result on Tuesday to start telling you my story, so here it goes …

dream-to-be-pregnant
Photo: Herdaily

After being married for more than 6 years, my husband and I decided we are now ready to have children. After trying for several months with no results, we decided to consult a doctor to do some tests. My husband had already children in the past so I wanted to know if there’s maybe something wrong with me. The result came and it showed that I am fertile.

A month ago I have started my IVF Treatment. Yes this is why I haven’t been very active lately on the blogosphere. I tried not to work or be online too much to avoid stressing myself.

Remember my post about the cost of IVF in Singapore and around the world on my other blog? After some thorough thinking, we have decided to finally do it. Doing IVF means having daily injections.

Week 1

6/08/09 – The official start of my IVF / ICSI Journey is on the 21st day of my last period. We went to the Fertility Clinic to pick up the meds and learn from the nurse on how to administer it on my own. I’ll tell you I was scared shitless at this time. I was thinking, how would I remember everything she’s telling me. Good thing that I brought my hubby along as he served as my extra ear.

The nurse asked if my hubby wanted to do it and he did it with the assistance of the nurse. As I child, I have always been afraid of needles. I was so nervous and thought I would pass out or something but it was NOT painful at all! Remember when they say it’s just like an ant bite, it true.

06/09/09– At home,we are on our own. I decided to do it myself as my hubby will be traveling on business trip in a few weeks so I wanted to make sure I can do it. To tell you the truth, I hardly breath while I was doing it which is not good because this might cause me to faint.

06/10/09 – I was getting used to giving myself injections and was also already learning how to breath while doing it. I am almost like a pro in injections.

The meds needs to be injected at the same time of the day, so if you inject it at 9 am then you should continue injecting yourself at 9 am at the coming days at the same time. I continue taking the same amount of meds till the day of my period.

On the day of my period, I need to take an additional med.

And then on the fifth day of my period we start checking if there are follicles already. This can be seen with a scan. Every couple of days I would go to the doctor to do this. The picture below is one from Day 8 of my period. The follicles are bigger now and you can see them better. In this scan I have follicles from 11- 14 mm in size.

follicles

To be continued…

Part II – My IVF Journey – Egg Retrieval
Part III – My IVF Journey – Embryo Transfer
Next posts:

1. ronaliza

October 31, 2011 at 11:43 am

i am 22 years old..
    and i want to have a baby usigg ivf..
    i want to know how much it cost and were hospital r the most cheaper that i can go…?

2. ronaliza

October 31, 2011 at 11:41 am

how much it cost if i use ivf..?
    i am 22 years old want to have a baby..

3. lyn

September 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

HI,

How much is the cost of IVF for 35 y/o? I also want to get the details of the doctor in Cebu. I have 1 daugther (9 y/o) and I wanted to have one more. We tried but no success. I have ovarian cyst and only 1 ovary. Can I still have a baby? thanks. hoping for your reply.

4. m@y

August 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm

hi there karen!
    thank you for sharing your journey to motherhood, i saw your blog while searching for good doctor here in SG, your stories and costing inspires me a lot. May i ask you what hospital youve been? and name of your doctor? Thank you very much God bless all of us!
    m@y

5. Kashieca

June 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm

thank to all who posted here. I just emailed Repro Optima in Cebu. The price quoted to me is PHP270k all-in for 30yrs old and below. But I’m already 34 years old so I’m asking them what would be the cost. Still waiting for reply. If say the price is PHP300, that’s still manageable. The price estimate in Singapore Fertility Centre is SGD12k. And that’s not even all-in yet.

And my doctor here in Singapore even suggest that we do it in the Philippines. My husband has low sperm count, motility and morphology.

Pray for us, too!

1. Laarnie

July 31, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Hi…i pray for the successful ivf procedure. Godbless..

6. Judz

April 18, 2011 at 10:32 am

Hi Ladies, I have been married for 10 years & been trying to have a baby for the last 6 yrs to no result. Both me & my husband are okay, we have no problem whatsoever. 2 years ago i did IUI in HK but failed. Last month i tried IVF in HK but failed again. We are both devastated. My IVF doctor told me i had 5 follicles, he harvested 3 & only ONE was good, yet it failed. Now, i am thinking of doing IVF in Cebu, do u think i would make the right decision? Please help. Thank you.

1. Kashieca

June 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm

One last try, Judz! If you have the means, why don’t you just do it? If everything fails, then adopt.

7. elva

March 19, 2011 at 3:13 am

Hi everyone, im new to this website… for all of you who are familiar to this website I need ur opinions and ur insights. Me and my husband has been married for 10 years now. We’ve been dealing with fertility treatments for 8 years already. I’ve had 6 artificial inseminations and three IVF procdures.Ive got pregnant 3 times thru IVF but it seems that the quality of my eggs are already expired that I ended up having a misccarriage before 3 motnhs. My first pregnancy was a blighted ovum, my 2nd pregnancy was a chromosomal abnormalities (my doctor said because of my age) and 3rd pregnancy was ectopic pregnancy. I’ve been through a lot..too much frustrations, too much disappointment and emotional stress not to mention the financial obligation that we have. Although my insurance covers for all the procedure but we still have an out-of-pocket contribution.. this time we want to give it another shot but using a donor egg. My doctor was convincing me before to use a donor egg but it took us a lot of courage to make a decision like this.. here in the US it will cost us US20,000 for the procedure so we think we might do it in the Philippines.. can somebody give me some information how much IVF cost in the Phils using a donor egg? and which clinic we should do it in the Phils? we are not really familiar with the clinics over there although I have some family in the province…

8. Jas

March 10, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Hi Jade,

Could you please send me the details of your ivf doctor in singapore and how much it cost you? Looking forward to your reply.

Many thanks

JV

9. shalani

November 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

hi,dra.marivic; this is my first time that i send you a letter.my husband and i went there @repro optima a year a go,to have his sperm count classification-[astheno-Teratozoospermia].in my part theres no anything wrong w/me.i do ultrasound since 2007.i only take folic acid folart coz my menstration always delayed sometimes 4 to 5 months,my obgyne said it’s ok co’z many women suffer delayed menst.but have there pregnancy.and since i was single until now i am married my menstration still the same.w/my husband i think he has a low sperm count i have my result of basic analysis of my husband when i go there pls.collerate for me clinically.coz i dont understand thr result of sperm count. i really worried coz iam married for 9yrs.and i tried to concieve but why it is so hard for me?doing AI and IVF is highly cost;what should we do?our funds still not enough to send me to your laboratories for a series of test.hoping you had a greatful time to read my link.i am looking forward to meet you.i know you can help me. waiting for your reply. God Bless!!!!!! shalani

10. ching

November 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm

hi ms. ellen, may i know how old are you when you had your ivf with repro optima? Thanks for the info.

11. anne

August 3, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Hi! I’ve been married for 8 years and been trying to conceive. I’ve done HSG and doctor found nothing. I was put on Clomid then now Femara. He thinks my problem is ovulation. I’m afraid IVF is my next move. I’ve heard about Repro Optima so I will give it a try. Hope it will work the first time.

12. Maila

July 5, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Hi! Jade, can you please send me the details of your ivf doctor here in singapore and how much does it cost? Looking forward to your reply. Thank you

13. charm

June 28, 2010 at 11:32 am

hi miss ellen!! ive been married for a year now and my hubby and i is very desperate in having children,. i have had 2 ectopic pregnancies already 1st july 14, 2009 ruptured where they removed my right fallopian tube. 2nd was just last MAy 3, 2010 and fortunately they just removed the gest sac since it was cornual pregnancy so i still have my left tube intact.. My doctor at Chongnhua medical arts in cebu, Dra. Sy suggested we have to resort to IVF for the fear of having an ectopic again.. she suggested the Repro Optima but have to try a year after my last operation.. thank you for the info that you had a successful IVF, coz we were thinking of having it done in Singapore, but since in your case it is cheaper and was successful we might try and consider it here in the Philippines.. thanx miss ellen, the info is a very big help to us,..

14. Anita

June 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm

hi ellen,

Where or what is the exact location of Repro Optima in Cebu? I’m here in Central Luzon and planning to have IVF by the end of this year. What is the area code in Cebu? Thanks.

1. carmen

February 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm

hi have u been in cebu?i too is the product of repro optima in cebu i have twins all girls. turning 2 next mo. i just read this site. u can find the clinic beside red cross. hope u already found the place coz its already february ur plan was dec 2010. landline 254-6965 & 256-2433. good luck! doc marivic tan is pretty and friendly…i call her “tisay”…

1. che

May 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I am so pleased to read your post. It just give me an inspiration to try it in Cebu coz I wasnt sure if its gonna be successful over there. Hope god will hear my prayers.

1. carmen

June 25, 2011 at 4:50 pm

hi che good day!if you give your 101% plus prayer and trust with the doctor i believe you can achieve your goal. just try it if you fail try again…coz my case wasn’t a one time it took me a 2nd time to hit my plan of having a baby and were blessed to have a twin. and they are poryaboyag very healthy and so “bibo” 2yrs old and 3 months on the 27th June…pray harder sacrifice a lot and follow what the doctor will tell you…and you can have your baby too soon…

2. Loida

May 31, 2011 at 12:55 pm

How much does it cost to have an ivf treatment in repro optima? thank u.

1. carmen

June 25, 2011 at 4:40 pm

hi loida good day!the treatment is case to case.the best thing to do is to see her (doc tan) talk to her and you will know the things you wanted to have an answers. u must visit her on your 2nd day of your cycle. around 300,000 for ivf or now…maybe more but the best things still u have to see her. good luck!
          remember i have twin girls…2 yrs & 3mos now.dont worry about the money you can find that but kids?…the house is so lonely with out them…you’re not a family if you dont have kids you’re just a couple…try to have even just one kid…

3. Rose

April 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I already inquired at Repro Optima and they are very prompt and encouraging with their response. We are planning to go there this May but they told us we need to stay there for 20 days. Do you have any suggestion where we can stay? We checkled some appartelles and the cost average is 1500 per day x 20 days would be too expensive.

15. Mickey

June 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Hi,

Want to know the highly successful doctors here and in singapore and how much does it cost for an IVF? Thank you very much.

Mickey

16. Karen

April 26, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Hi,
    Who’s your doctor and which hospital in Singapore? How much is your total expenses? Thank you.

17. Nicole

April 9, 2010 at 11:43 am

I’ve been hearing about the Cebu clinic but have not yet had a chance to meet with them. I will look into that. We were considering Dr. PC Wong from Singapore but we have not yet made a decision just yet. I will give more info once I speak to his Filipino counterpart Dr. Ancheta from Medical City. Very happy for you Ellen and Karen, and good luck to us Rain! 🙂

18. Nicole

February 22, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that 🙁 Doing the IVF procedure in Taiwan is actually cheaper than doing in it Manila. In Taiwan, all in (flight/hotel/food/DR’s fees/meds/procedure/etc.) is approximately Php200,000 to Php300,000. Go to http://www.ivftaiwan.com
    In Manila, the cheapest I found was approximately Php500,000. Doctor’s name is Leo Almeda in Cardinal Santos. His number is 7257147.
    I’ve heard that Vietnam is even cheaper but I don’t have any info on where there, sorry.
    Hope this helps! Good luck to you! 😀

19. Ma. Elvira Sheila Revesencio

February 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm

My husband and I were married for 10 yrs. We undewent series of test. I had IUI twice. My husband sperm count is low and was operated due to varecoecil (sorry if I mispelled it wrong). After the operation there was no sperm seen at all. We we devastated and both cried for days. A doctor advised us to have the IVF but we were surprised to learn of the high cost of IVf. Is there any hospital here in the Philippines or in asia that is much cheaper?

1. karen

March 23, 2010 at 2:24 am

hi elvira,

i had the same situation as you. My husband had TESE, testicular sperm extraction at Repro Optima Center for Reproductive Health in Cebu. Shortly after, i had ICSI with the TESE sperms under Dr. Marivic Tan. Now i am 10 weeks pregnant. The cost of my treatments summed up to only Php 300,000 including the TESE already. I hope you will be as blessed….try inquiring with my doctor, Dr. Marivic Tan. She is very accommodating and will take the time to explain the whole process to you. Wish you all the luck!!!

1. angel

March 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

hi karen! your success story really inspired me so much.and at the same time i love to have a conversation with you since you have the same name of my elder sister (my ate karen)..anyway, im in the 1st process of undergoing IVF. just this morning, i had my 3rd injection. in less than 2weeks,i will be experiencing ET(embryo transfer).please cheer me up.. i have so many fears inside me.was it your first ivf attemp?

2. mimi

July 5, 2011 at 8:43 am

Hi karen!

Your story is so inspiring…i think we are in the same shoe..but we still need further tests..i would like to know who is the urologist of your husband..and was the TESE done at Repro Optima or in other hospital..thank you..:)

2. jasmine

July 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm

please go to do for Ivf in Thailand .I heard cheaper and successful.Most asian people do at Thai.

20. The Fashion Explorer

February 9, 2010 at 6:06 am

[…] The result came and it showed that she’s fertile. I was there to read about her post on her IVF journey in Singapore. In vitro fertilisation (IVF) is a process by which egg cells are fertilised by sperm outside the […]

21. Nicole

January 27, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Hi wishful mom,
    I had all three in Tai’chung, Taiwan with Dr. Lee. I liked the clinic, doctor’s and nursing staff very much, but my doctor in Manila was thinking that maybe we needed a different clinic since it will be my 4th try.
    Which Doctor in Manila are you considering going to? I know of a few IVF doctors here, maybe I can even give you some more information.
    Hope this helps.
    Nicole

1. Maria

March 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Hi Nicole!

We have been married for five years now but unable to conceive a child. We would like to explore the possibilities of having our first IVF procedure here in the Philippines. At my age, the cost will be Php 400,000 plus so we desperately want to know the best doctor affliated at Centre for Reproductive Medicine Inc.(CRM)

Hope to hear from you.

22. wishful mom

January 27, 2010 at 4:30 am

hi Nicole, may I know what country did you have your three IVF treatments? We’re planning to have one in the Philippines sometime May this year. hope to hear from you.

23. Nicole

January 26, 2010 at 11:36 am

Thank you so much! That would be wonderful! I truly appreciate it 🙂

24. Nicole

January 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Hi!

Just wanted to say, our journey sounds quite similar. I’ve done IVF 3 times, all failed though 🙁 and am hoping to do my 4th try in Singapore. I was wondering what the total cost is? Medicine, Dr.’s fees, hospital fee, stay, food, etc. Could you kindly be of help to me? I’m hoping to go sometime in April and am doing as much research as possible. Would love ANY feedback whatsoever.

Good luck with the rest of your journey! All the best to you! 😀

Many thanks,
    Nicole

1. MommaWannabe

January 26, 2010 at 8:14 am

@ Nicole – I will look tally all my expenses and email it to you so you have an idea…I’ll also check some places where you can stay.

1. rain

March 15, 2010 at 11:47 am

Hi! I have tried IVF in the Philippines but failed to become pregrant. I am thinking of doing another one but I am looking for another country where I can have the procedure cheaper.How much is the total cost (meds,laboratory,doctors fee, etc) you incurred when you had your IVf in Singapore? Please give an idea. I am really desperate to have another IVF. THanks

2. jasmine

July 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I am 45 years over,can I do for Ivf ?and also advice me any ……we wanted to get baby for ourlife.

3. Rose

April 13, 2012 at 1:12 am

We are also planning to try IVF in Singapore this May. Kindly send me the name of your doctor and the hospital where you had your IVF with other information that can help us. Thank you very much.

25. marlene

August 19, 2009 at 2:13 pm

hi girl!absolutelty fascinating i am 29 yrs.old i already have 1 boy but i would be delighted to have another one,we tried!we went into fertility clinic and i just found out that my ovaries are both block,plus the fact that my partner is aged we were told our last sort is the IVF we can afford it though,my partner supposed to have his semen check but everytime he pass his semen it is always being rejected.they tell us its not enough to be check!right now we stop it,we are embracing the fact that we are blessed enough of having one.GOOD LUCK I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!
    lhen

26. G in USA

July 21, 2009 at 10:51 am

Hi Jade! thank you! You inspire me. I had my HSG this afternoon and my doctor said that I have blocked tubes and that the best way is to go through IVF. You see, I am alone here in the US (i mean I have my husband but that’s it).
    Right at this moment I am planning of having IVF done in the Philippines. Over there I would feel strong knowing that I know and feel that I can easily relate with the doctors and of course I have my family and friends for moral support.
    I wish you all the best and hopefully the best thing is going to happen to me too soon, very soon!

1. MommaWannabe

July 21, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Hi G,

Thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog post about my IVF Journey. I am also kinda alone here, besides from my husband I don’t have any friends close by. We moved to Singapore 2 years ago from Europe, and haven’t been lucky to meet good friends yet. I just braved it out and went for it …

If you are gonna do IVF in the Philippines, your husband will also be there then? And won’t it be more expensive? Anyway,whatever you decide I wish you best of luck.

If you need someone to talk to,you can always email me:)

Sending over some baby dusts:)!

27. Sherry

July 17, 2009 at 11:10 pm

wow interesting, heard my excolleague talk about it but never in detail.

1. ellen

March 23, 2010 at 2:10 am

hi nicole and g,

i am 39 years old and had a successful one time ivf with Dr. Marivic Tan of Repro Optima Cebu. It is much cheaper in Repro Optima and very high success rates. The staff are friendly and very professional. I remember during my ivf, 5 out of 7 of us who had ivf almost the same time were pregnant. I am ver happy now with my little angel. I hope to sare with you tis joy. You sould try it in cebu with Dr. Marivic Tan. My ivf coat me only Php 200,000 including all meds, embryo freezing, hormone tests. Give it a try! Landline of Repro Optima Cebu is 2562433….

1. Leen

January 27, 2011 at 7:32 am

Hi ellen I read about your successful IVF. You probably have given birth by now. I am just wondering, when you went through the IVF procedure, were you able to select the gender of your baby? and if there are other additional cost to it? Did you have a boy or a girl?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,
        Leen

28. Andrea

July 17, 2009 at 2:15 am

That is so fascinating! I have a friend who has been trying to get pregnant for two years. She learned six months ago that her husband has no sperm. This was devastating because they don’t have much money and anything that may help is very expensive. They are saving their money, though. . . It is nice to read success stories like yours, it gives me hope that my friend will also be able to be a mom some day!

29. What to do when you are on bed rest | Life of a Filipina Blogger

July 14, 2009 at 7:08 pm

[…] If you’re new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!Bed rest is not as relaxing as it sounds. My almost 2 weeks bed rest is almost over! My gosh that has been the longest two weeks of my life. Okay some of you might be wondering what have I been really doing the last couple of weeks. Well you can read about it here – My Journey. […]

30. IVF Costs in Singapore | Life of a Filipina Blogger

July 14, 2009 at 6:40 pm

[…] Useful Source of Information: IVF Journies UPDATE: I have started IVF last June 2009 and I am pregnant ! You can read about it here – My IVF Journey! […]

31. Joy

July 14, 2009 at 1:39 am

Wow! You are very brave. I am terrified of needles also. I’m so glad that they got easier for you. I’m not sure if I’d be able to do that. I wish you the absolute best of luck!

Joy’s last blog post..New poll (movie books) and new layout

32. pehpot

July 13, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I am praying for Jade!

Make or Break

pehpot’s last blog post..The Kids Are Dreaming

33. Ebie

July 12, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Take care and all the best!

Ebie’s last blog post..Sunday Stills: Textures